|This image is used by permission from Hobbies on a Budget.|
I mentioned in my post about Realistic New Years Resolutions that you don't need to spend lots of money getting fit. If one of your New Years Resolutions is to get healthy then you should check out these 5 FREE websites. Each one can help you start and keep motivated on your journey towards a healthy lifestyle.
In no particular order, here are the top 5 websites I have used and loved;
- SparkPeople - I talked a bit about this one in my New Years Resolutions post. Sparkpeople is a huge website and it's 100% free.
- When you create your account it will customize a plan for you, and guide you through the different stages of your weight loss.
- You can choose to use their meal plans, or make your own with their huge calorie counting database, and you can even add your own food too.
- You can also track all your physical activity, and set goals for weeks/months/the year for calories burned, miles, and of course pounds and inches lost.
- They also offer TONS of exercise videos, some that require no equipment at all, and very little space. There are also pictures and videos to help make sure you are doing the moves correctly, like lunges and squats!
- They have a huge index of articles on weight loss, health conditions, motivation, and so much more.
- As a fun bonus, they have a 'points' feature and a trophy system. When you reach certain milestone, like 250 or 500 miles in one month, you earn trophies. You earn points when you do things like tracking your food and physical activity.
- They have a very active message board that you can talk to other people or ask questions.
- There are also groups that you can join depending on your interests, like groups for runners, cyclists, or people who enjoy certain workouts, like P90x, Jillian Micheals, etc.
- Runkeeper - Runkeeper is a simple app for iPhone or android users. It keeps track of your runs, walks, hikes, whatever you do outside. It uses your phone's GPS to track your distance.
- The app has Training Plans and you can pick goals like run a 5k, 10k, or lose weight.
- You can see fitness reports for the past week, month, year, lifetime, or a custom period of time.
- You can upgrade to 'elite' for additional features.
- Lose It! - Very simple website that lets you count calories and track physical activity.
- They also have an app for the iPhone and iPad so you can keep track on the go.
- The goals page can help you stay on track.
- You can join challenges to help motivate yourself.
- EarndIt - I posted a bit about this one before here, but it deserves another mention.
- Track your progress and earn giftcards. I earned myself a few, click here to see what I got from BodyRock Sport!
- Challenges that offer extra prizes are a good way to help you get in some extra physical activity.
- Works with FREE apps like Runkeeper, everytrail, foursquare, and endomondo. It also works with things like the FitBit, Bodymedia FIT, etc.
- Youtube - Yes... Youtube! This one is pretty self explanatory, you can find TONS of workout videos on youtube!
I hope some of you have found this helpful, and try out something! You CAN lose weight and start a healthy lifestyle this year, and you don't need to spend a ton of money doing it!!