Thursday 24 January 2013

The Harry Potter Alliance and Child Slavery

There is no way any sane person can argue in favor of Child Slavery, it's just not going to happen. It's a horrifying thing that no parent or child should ever have to think about, let alone deal with. Sadly it is the reality for many children and families. I don't even want to think about if it were someone in my family, it's terrifying and it happens way too often around the world.



Recently my eyes were opened to the child slavery and labor revolving the cocoa plant. Children are kidnapped and forced to work 12 hour days, and beaten regularly.

This year one of the campaigns The Harry Potter Alliance is focusing on is child slavery, and as part of that they are urging Warner Brothers to use fair trade chocolate when selling products under Harry Potter's name. The HP Alliance received a report from Free2Work that states that Harry Potter chocolate received an 'F' in human rights, Warner Brothers of course denied this and stated that they have their own report proving they don't actually have an F, but refused to show it. The HP Alliance is asking that people sign a petition asking Warner Brothers to show this report. You can click here to sign it!

I may not be an HP fan, but I know MANY of you are, or your children are. I urge you to sign the petition, and buy only fair trade chocolate! I will never eat chocolate again unless I know it is free trade, I can't eat it knowing it may have affected the rights of children. It is hard to wrap my mind around the fact that a simple decision like this will affect children just like my own brother around the world.

Click here for a list of Free Trade Chocolate in the US.
Click here to find products if you are in Canada.

7 comments:

  1. First I decided not to buy diamonds, now chocolate? My world is getting small and sad :( Thanks for sharing such important information, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this information. How sad

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's horrible. I have to admit I know very little about fair trade chocolate... Gotta start doing some research - because I sure don't support child slavery!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sad and thank you for spreading awareness to this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. =[ That is sad. The children are their future and sadly this will just be a continuing cycle if someone doesn't put a stop to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...but how can we be surprised, unfortunately I think sorta thing is going on way more then we know...., coffee, clothing, chocolate...
    Awful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's just awful. I'm glad that they are doing something about it.

    ReplyDelete