Monday 21 January 2013

Yummy Breakfast Sandwiches!

The hardest part of eating healthy for me is that fact that I am completely addicted to Tim Horton's breakfast sandwiches. If I could only eat that everyday, all day, I would be perfectly fine with that. The problem is that they are 380 calories each, and 20 grams of fat. Plus the fact that if I go to Tim's I have to get an Ice Cap, and my boyfriend has to get an Ice Lemonade and a Raisin Bran Muffin.

I have tried alternatives. They do sell frozen breakfast sandwiches in store and I have tried two different brands and didn't like either, and of course I can always cook them up myself... The problem with that is I am lazy. I don't mind running/exercising for an hour or more a day but I hate cooking for myself. Finally my mother suggested I make a batch of breakfast sandwiches myself and freeze them, then microwave them one at a time when I want them. Home made food is always better then store bought, right?




I made a small batch of only 4 sandwiches the first time, here is what I used;

  • 4 Large Eggs
  • 4 English Muffins
  • 4 Slices of light cheese
  • a little bit of butter for the frying pan
  • 4 pieces of paper towel

I beat up the eggs in a bowl with a bit of butter and basically made a big flat omelette. I cooked it thoroughly and cut it in four slices. While the omelette was cooking I toasted the four english muffins. I then placed a quarter of the omelette on an english muffins, and then a slice of cheese. Wrap each muffin separately with a piece of paper towel. Make sure the cheese is cooled so it doesn't stick to the paper! 



Now the paper towel was my mom's idea. When I had tried the store bought egg sandwiches they were a bit soggy after I had taken them out of the microwave! The paper towel helps prevent soggyness! 


They were good, however the next time I made them I used poached eggs instead and I liked them waaay more, I'm not a big omelette fan! I plan on trying fried eggs next! The best part is they took only 2minutes in the microwave AND they are only 260 calories! Yum!

1 comment:

  1. I make them like this all the time, my family loves grabbing them to go in the morning. I always eat my oatmeal though, I am addicted to that stuff and was so glad when fast food places started serving it so if I am on the go I can still get it.

    ReplyDelete